Saturday, July 31, 2010

High Seas Expedition 2010

I'm a few weeks behind on blogging but trying to get caught up. I definitely wanted to post about vacation Bible school. The theme this year was a High Seas Expedition- exploring the treasures of God's word. I LOVED it! I loved the lessons, the crafts, the snacks and really liked the songs. The past few years I have served on the commitee and helped with the curriculum, but this year I signed up as a teacher. I had never rotated to all the different centers (music, snacks, crafts, and the missions room) and only the 4+ kids get to move around, so I opted to teach Preston's kindergarten class. We had a great group of kids. My co-teachers went overboard decorating and even brought in a 13 foot boat for the kids to sit in while we taught the lessons each day!
Preston loved learning all the motions to the songs. We play the cd at least once a day at the house and both boys love that they know the words. I love to hear their sweet voices singing praises to the Lord.
Everyday featured a fun snack for the kids to eat.
The snack room ladies even decorated with real goldfish- a BIG hit with all the kids.
I thought the crafts were so cute and very age appropriate. They made sailor hats, sand art necklaces, and treasure boxes to name a few.
The missions room focused on Scotland and on the first day we were treated to a performance of a real bag piper. He's played for the queen and even Ronald Regan! I loved his accent. FYI- Darren and I had a bag piper walk us down the aisle after we were married :)

I didn't see Elic's class that often. They were on a different schedule that included recess outside and centers in the room. He loved going each day and had really sweet teachers.
VBS ended with a carnival on Friday night. We were so happy that Darren and the grandparents could come see what all the kids had learned that week. After a BBQ dinner, we walked around to different stations set up in the foyer.
Sweet Ashlyn asked if Darren would compete against her in the donut eating contest. I think he let her win, but took it quite seriously.


Look at that action shot! Can you see the ball going through the top hoop?
Going along with the high seas theme was this water table ...
...which Holden loved! He cried when we took him away.


The last part of the night was a slide show of the week and a musical performance by the kids.

Where's Elic?
I was so proud that Preston participated in the singing- hand motions and all. Sometimes he gets shy in front of crowds.
The winner for favorite part of the night- the bounce houses!
I am so thankful to the directors and committee members who worked so hard (for months) to make this year's VBS such a success. Can't wait to see what the theme will be for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment